Transmission is currently the best torrent client on Mac thanks to a beautiful interface and a simple set of intuitive features.
This new version doesn't support OS X 10.4.11 anymore (although you can download the 10.4.11 version here) but brings many more improvements to an already solid release. You can set different priority levels for torrents and establish stall limit times. Transmission's speed limit mode, represented by a turtle icon at the bottom of the interface, is extremely useful if you're looking to control the amount of bandwidth you use for uploads and downloads. The option for anonymous connections has been removed in this latest version however.
Transmission has consistently improved over time, offering many more options to view your torrents. You can now filter your torrent list according to downloading, seeding, or paused. The client can also organize transfers by queue order, date added, name, process. Transmission also allows you to label, filter and sort torrents by groups and total activity. You can also encrypt your torrent activity in case you want it to stay private.
We really like the new interface, which blends in perfectly to the new Mac OS X Leopard. Transmission manages to display all the essential information without actually seeming crowded, which is no easy feat. The only little nag we'd have with it is that it doesn't offer as many advanced statistics as you'd find in Vuze.
Despite no advanced statistics, Transmission is a beautiful and incredibly intuitive torrent client for Mac.
- Fixes a crash that prevented Transmission from opening on non-English systems.
- Auto-grouping won't apply until torrents are demagnetized
- Tweak the inspector's and add window's file lists to avoid auto-hiding scrollbars overlapping the priority controls
- Fix potential crash when downloading and seeding complete at the same time
- Fix bug where stopped torrents might start when waking the computer from sleep
- Fix a bug that prevented IPv6 addresses from being saved in dht.dat
- Better handling of magnet links that contain 'tr.x=' parameters
- Add filtering of addresses used for uTP peer connections
- Fix detection of whether or not a peer supports uTP connections
- Web Client:
- Fix a multi-file selection bug
- Fix bug where the upload and download arrows and rates would not appear for downloading torrents
- Fix bug when displaying the tracker list